Monday, April 1, 2013

30 Books in 30 Days: Day 1

I finished reading "Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship and Life Together" by Mark and Grace Driscoll. I was nearly done with this book anyway, but I had one chapter to read and two chapters to re-read since I had merely skimmed them previously. I liked this book. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads. It has been challenging for me in a good way to work on being what the Driscolls call a "Servant Lover" rather than a selfish one.

I also learned something really interesting about some birth control methods. Quite a few of the more recent and convenient ones for women don't inhibit fertilization but do stop implantation from happening. The Driscolls likened this to abortion, since a fertilized egg (zygote? embryo?) is knowingly stopped from implanting in the uterus and growing. How sad is that? I bet there are tons of women out there who have no idea about this and are just going off an OB's recommendation. So, look into what your birth control method is really doing!

Obviously this was not the main point of the book, at all. It is one of the main takeaways for me though.

And that not-being-so-selfish thing.

(This book isn't on my List, but I borrowed it from my brother last summer and I really wanted to finish it and get it back to him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment