Thursday, October 1, 2009

45. The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing


I have been wanting to read this Melissa Bank novel--really a series of interconnected short stories--for years now. I had read snippets before and a particular phrase always struck me as both interesting and romantic:

"'Well,' he said. 'Get over here.'
And so I went."

It may have been where I was in my life at the time versus where I am now. Or perhaps it was just that reading that in context of the rest of the novel gives it a new meaning. Either way, I now see that this small paragraph is simply descriptive of the narrator's tendency toward co-dependence. It is not romantic, but sad.

I liked the book as a whole, although individually I can see the stories being poignant as well. I love a happy ending though (spoiler alert) so for me it was satisfying for things to eventually turn out well for the narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment